Peppermint Bark Cheesecake combines a thick chocolate cookie crust with a rich minty filling for a delightful holiday dessert.
For my Christmas present, my little brother, Chef Michael, tagged me in a photo on Facebook of his handwritten recipe for Peppermint Bark Cheesecake. It was the fastest and easiest way to get it to me.
So what if I have never tried to make a cheesecake before, I figured, I bought those springform pans forever and a day ago I might as well use them at least once. First task was to reduce the recipe because his made FOUR 8″ pie plate size or TWO 9″ springform pan size. What can I say? He is a professional cook and making small amounts for normal household consumption is a challenge for him. Even he had to admit it made too much when I talked to him to verify how many egg whites to use. Two of his four cheesecakes went to work and one went in the freezer.
Peppermint Bark Cheesecake is a delightful holiday treat with a chocolate cookie crust and creamy mint filling.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour see note
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ground candy canes approximately 12 large or 36 small
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 11 oz white chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- cocoa powder and crushed candy canes for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder and egg. Roll out dough to the size of a cookie sheet then slide it on cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes (longer if you dough is thicker then 1/8"). Turn off oven and leave the cookie in until dry, about 45 minutes. It needs to be as dry as a chocolate wafer or graham cracker.
- Meanwhile, pulse candy canes a few times in the food processor to crush them. Add the cookie when done and pulse until it is crumbly but not so much it is like flour. Add melted butter and the beaten egg and combine by hand until just moistened.
- Press into two 8" pie pans or one 9" springform pan. Put pans on a cookie sheet (or wrap the springform pan in aluminum foil to prevent leakage)
- Preheat oven to 325. Combine all cheesecake ingredients in a large bowl and mix with mixer until smooth. Pour into the pan(s).
- Bake for 35 minutes, pie pans , or 45-50 minutes for the springform. Watch closely for any cracks, the center should jiggle slightly when done. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack, approximately 2 hours. Then chill in the refrigerator at least 8 hours.
- Dust with cocoa powder and more crushed candy canes before serving
If you don't have self rising flour use 1 cup flour plus 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
Until next time, happy eating!