In 1999, my parents hosted a family reunion for the Lalanne and Vineys families. It was a bit bigger than our usual 4th of July party. And everyone had a blast getting to know each other. Some cousins hadn’t seen each other in decades, and to watch them scamper after each other you’d have thought they were 7 instead of in their 70’s.
To make it easier on themselves, and because we have a bunch of foodies in the clan, it was a pot luck. If you ever need to host one, or are invited to attend one, you might want to review Ma’am’s suggestions. And of course, if it is a family gathering be sure to WRITE DOWN THE RECIPES.
The following recipe came from that event. It was brought by Norm and Pat Lalanne. Hang on, let me do some calculating here. I think Norm is my first cousin twice removed. He was my grandmother’s first cousin. Oh, it doesn’t really matter. They brought this awesome Cold Rice Salad to the party and it was a perfect go with for a barbecue/picnic. Something a little different than potato or macaroni salad.
- 4 Small jars of marinated artichokes coarsely chopped and marinade reserved
- 2 cups long grain white rice uncooked
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable broth include the artichoke marinade above to equal total 4 1/4 cup liquid
- 5 green onions chopped
- 1/2 jar green olives stuffed with pimentos sliced (7 ounce jar)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- chopped parsley
- Cook rice in vegetable broth and reserved artichoke marinade until tender.
- Cool. Mix mayonnaise and curry powder. Mix all ingredients together and garnish with parsley.
Add 1 pound shrimp meat or chopped chicken breasts for a heartier dish.
This makes quite a lot of salad which keeps well a day or two in the refrigerator. Good recipe for a pot luck dish or cut recipe in half for the family.
Until next time, happy eating!