Sweet Potato Jalapeno Poppers are an insanely simple appetizer and also insanely delicious. Make them ahead for a party or to pop in the broiler for an afternoon snack.
The ingredients for our Crazy Ingredient Challenge this month were Sweet Potatoes and Jalapenos. So many possibilities raced through my mind. But, I know this time of year many people are looking for a quick and easy appetizer for their holiday gatherings. So I finally settled on these Sweet Potato Jalapeno Poppers.
The Crazy Ingredient Challenge is a group of bloggers that choose two ingredients every month and then create a recipe with them and post about their recipe. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom to see what the others created.
I wanted to keep these simple
because I was feeling lazy realized everyone is looking for easy this time of year so I kept it to four ingredients: jalapenos and sweet potatoes, of course, as well as sausage and cheese. You can partially bake them ahead of time, freeze them and then top with cheese and finish baking immediately before serving.
The recipe below is an approximation on the amounts. Use what you have on hand and adjust to your tastes. The peppers and chorizo provide plenty of flavor, but they don’t make it too hot. The sweet potatoes and cheese balance it out nightly.Sweet Potato Jalapeno Poppers - quick and easy appetizer. Click To Tweet
Quick and easy Sweet Potato Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers are a delicious twist to this classic appetizer. #partyfood #footbalfood #easyappetizer
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 - 1/2 pound chorizo or loose italian sausage
- 4-6 ounce monterey jack or cheddar cheese grated
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into 1 inch cubes. Put in a medium sauce pan, cover with water and cook until fork tender (approximately 10 minutes). Drain water and mash potatoes.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown the sausage. Combine potatoes, sausage and 3/4 of the cheese.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds (wear gloves!).
- Stuff the filling in the peppers, place on a baking sheet. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn oven to broil for the last few minutes if you want a crispy cheese topping.
Until next time, happy eating.