Healthy vegan Barbecue Lentil Mushroom Burgers are a quick and easy weeknight meal or cookout alternative for those that don’t eat meat.
Today is the 20th of the month so it’s time for the Crazy Ingredient Challenge. A group of bloggers pick two ingredients not normally paired together and create a dish with them. The ingredient winners this month were: lentils and molasses. I am excited to see what the others came up with. Be sure to scroll below my recipe to see what the rest of the group made and for more information for any bloggers out there that might want to join us.
I am not sure why I struggled with a good combination for these two. Finally the idea of a veggie burger hit me because I am always looking for a new meatless meal this time of year. And these come together in about 30 minutes making it great for a weeknight.
I am going to be honest with you, no one is going to be fooled into thinking this is a ground beef burger. Please don’t even try. Your kids will know you are lying and not trust you again. But make no mistake about it, just because it doesn’t taste like beef doesn’t mean they aren’t scrumptious! The mushrooms add a bit of a crunch so it isn’t a mush patty like some meatless burgers. And the simple barbecue sauce bursts with flavor.
Barbecue Lentil Mushroom Burgers are simple vegan/vegetarian burgers made with lentils and mushrooms topped with a simple homemade barbecue sauce.
- 8 oz low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon low sodium seasoning "salt" I use Pappy's choice
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced plus extra for topping the burgers if desired
- 1/4 cup onions, diced plus extra for topping the burgers if desired
- 1 Large egg, slightly beaten or flax egg (see note)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs gluten free if desired
- 1 teaspoon low sodium seasoning "salt" I use Pappy's Choice
- 4 hamburger buns gluten free if desired
- In a small sauce pan combine all sauce ingredients and simmer over low heat.
- In a medium pot cook lentils in water per package directions until very soft, 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool
- While lentils cook, saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine lentils, mushroom and onions, egg, panko and seasoning in a medium bowl and form into 4 patties.
Cook on an oiled cast iron griddle/pan for about 5 minutes aside.
- Serve burger on buns with barbecue sauce and additional burger toppings.
To make eggless, substitute 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water for about 5 minutes until gel forms.
Until next time, happy eating!