Have you ever heard of a “Squash” drink? I am not talking about a pumpkin smoothie. This is a refreshing alcohol free bubbly citrus drink. Traditionally it is a Lemon Squash, and Martha Stewart has a recipe for a Lime Squash. But, I decided to combine lemon, lime and orange to make a Citrus Squash.
I first read about this drink in The Castlemaine Murders by Kerry Greenwood. It is one of the delightful Phryne Fisher Mystery novels set in 1928 Australia. If you want to know more about the books and television series that have just made their way to the US head over to Munofore for my review. In this book, Phryne is enjoying a Sherry Cobbler on a warm summer afternoon while Lin Chung has a Lemon Squash. I had to look both drinks up, because they aren’t that popular in the US these days. Stay tuned, the Sherry Cobbler may be coming soon.
Basically, a lemon squash drink is a cross between lemonade and infused water. Nice citrus flavor with a hint of sweetness, but not as strong as lemonade.
If you add the seltzer (or club soda or sparkling water) it makes a great alternative to soda, making it perfect for kids as well as a refreshing mocktail for adults that want a non-alcoholic beverage.
Traditionally, sugar is used, but I went with stevia while Martha uses honey. You only use about 1-2 ounces of the syrup to make a drink so no matter what sweetener it is much less guilt than a soda or even traditional lemonade.
[Tweet “Try this easy No Sugar Added Citrus Squash to quench your thirst this summer. #summerdrink #alcoholfree #mocktail”]
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating!