Treat yourself to a batch of this creamy dairy free Mexican Horchata at your next fiesta. Not only is it easy to make, like most things, it is so much tastier when it is homemade. And it is wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer day.
There are countless ways to make Horchata. Different regions use different nuts and seeds including tiger nuts, sesame seeds, almonds, rice and more. All are sweetened, some use cow’s milk, most use cinnamon.
This is a Mexican version combining raw almonds and rice with cinnamon and sweetener of your choice. Since I was going dairy free, I chose to go sugar free as well and used stevia. But, you can use sugar, agave, honey or your favorite sweetener.Enjoy refreshing homemade Dairy Free Horchata at your next fiesta. #mexicanrecipe #horchata #kidfriendlyClick To Tweet
Other Mexican recipes you may enjoy
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 6 cups water divided use
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar or equivalent sugar free sweetener more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon for garnish optional
Blanch almonds: Boil 2 cups of water. Add almonds and boil for 1 minute. Drain and immediately put almonds into bowl of ice water. Slough of skins.
Boil 4 cups water and remove from heat. Add almonds, rice and cinnamon stick and let sit for at least 3-4 hours up to overnight.
Puree the mixture in batches until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth. Add sugar and vanilla.
Chill and serve over ice with ground cinnamon on top if desired.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.