With garden-fresh tomatoes in abundant supply, summer and fall are the perfect times to enjoy this quick and easy Roasted Tomato Soup. Top it with some sourdough brie toast and this is a match made in heaven.
Tomato soup with croutons or popcorn was a “Dad’s working” dinner when I was growing up. My father, like my husband, did not think soup constituted a meal.
This is a kicked up version of that canned soup classic that involves slow roasting the tomatoes for a few hours. In the summer? Who has time for that or wants to heat up the house? Roast the tomatoes ahead of time, then blend and heat the soup just before serving.
For a nicer look, use tomatoes of the same color. If you mix yellow and red tomatoes, the end result is a strange, not-found-in-nature hue that isn’t very appetizing. Also, slow roasting your tomatoes will bring out their natural sweetness. However, the browning that occurs during this process will create a darker soup than using raw tomatoes.Turn those beautiful in season tomatoes into a luscious Roasted Tomato Soup. Top with some sourdough brie toasts for a delightful meal. Click To Tweet
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh basil washed and patted dry, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and cut into quarters.
- 2 stalks stalks celery washed and cut into chunks
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon heavy whipping cream room temperature or slightly warmed
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 slices sourdough bread crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 ounces Brie cheese crust removed, cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Slice tomatoes into ½” slices and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). Leave room between slices to prevent over-crowding. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Place baking sheet in the oven and roast approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are browned around the edges.
Remove crust from 2 slices of sourdough bread. Cut each slice into 4 equal-sized rectangles and brush one side with melted butter. Place buttered side down on a heated grill pan until browned grill marks appear. Remove from heat and flip each piece of sourdough over so the grill marks are facing up and top with a slice of Brie.
Place grill pan under a broiler right before you’re ready to serve the soup and heat for approximately 2 minutes, or until the Brie is soft and starting to melt. Don’t leave under too long or all the Brie will run off the bread.
Once tomatoes are done roasting, remove from oven and cool slightly. Add roasted tomato slices to high-powered blender or food-processor, along with stock, basil, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, warmed heavy cream, salt and pepper.
Blend on high until smooth and thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If desired, add additional chicken or vegetable stock, 1 tablespoon at a time, and re-blend to achieve desired consistency.
To serve, top with the grilled cheese toasts and sprig of fresh basil. Enjoy!
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.