Moist and delicious Carrot Muffins made without refined sugars. These babies are sweetened with dates and maple sugar (or honey if you prefer).
I opted to cook and puree the the carrots instead of shredding them for a moist and even crumb. And my son would probably snub them if they had flecks of carrot in them.
I went with a flour batter instead of oats because I wanted a light fluffy muffin. Oats are great, but I decided to save them for the granola topping to give these muffins a nice little maple sweetened crunch on top.
Be sure to press the granola into the batter a bit or it will slide off as you try to remove them from the pan. Do as I say not as I did. 😉
No Sugar Added Carrot Muffins
- 1 cup carrots cleaned and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 Large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 cup oatmeal old fashioned or quick cook
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- Cook carrots in about 1 cup water until fork tender.
- While carrots cook, combine all granola topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups, or spray with no-stick spray.
- Put cooked carrots and dates in a blender with about 1/2 cup of the carrot cooking liquid. Puree until smooth. Add additional cooking liquid a tablespoon or so at a time if needed to puree the mixture.
- Combine butter and maple syrup in bowl and mix together by hand. Add carrot and date mixture, egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices and stir until ingredients are moist. Do NOT overmix.
- Spoon into muffin tin. Top each muffin with the granola mixture, pressing the granola into the muffin batter.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.