Summer time and the livin' is easy with these Cherry Limeade Cupcakes made from fresh in season cherries and limes.
When Valentina, the Baking Fairy, decided to put together a virtual cupcake party for Cupcake Lovers Day, I knew I wanted to make something with cherries. But not maraschino cherries or any fake stuff. Real fresh honest to goodness fresh cherries. And of course my mind drifted to cherry limeade because it is summer. A simple one bowl cupcake recipe with chopped fresh cherries and lime zest and BOOM! deliciousness.
Be sure to scroll past the recipe to see all of the other cupcake recipes for #CupcakeLoversDay. I have seen a sneak peek at some and there are plenty of delicious ones to drool over.
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup fresh whole cherries (plus extra for decorating if desired)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lime (plus ½ lime for decorating if desired)
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup milk (divided use)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cupcake pan with wrappers
- Pit and finely chop cherries. Reserve ¼ cup for the icing. Place remaining cherries in a small bowl.
- Zest lime. Add about ¼ of the zest to the cherries reserved for the icing. Add the rest to the small bowl of cherries.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar to the larger amount of cherries and lime zest.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk a few seconds until fluffy and combined.
- Add ⅓ cup butter and ⅔ cup of milk and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add egg, vanilla, and larger amount of cherries/lime zest (including the syrup). Mix for 2 more minutes thinning with the remaining milk as needed.
- Fill cupcake wrappers ¾ full and bake at 375 degrees until cooked in the center, about 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl beat ½ cup butter until fluffy, add powdered sugar and the smaller amount of cherries and lime zest. Juice ½ of the lime and add. Beat mixture, thinning with additional lime juice and/or a small amount of milk as needed.
- Frost cupcakes when cool. Decorate with cherries and thinly sliced lime wedges if desired.
Cupcakes for Cupcake Lovers Day!
Vegan Birthday Cake Oreo Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy
Avocado Cupcakes with Lime Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Brown Cow Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Busy Bee Honey Vanilla Cupcakes by For The Love of Food
Butter Pecan Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
Cheesecake Cupcakes by Walking on Sunshine Recipes
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes by That Recipe
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by The Freshman Cook
Chocolate Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting by Cooking for my Soul
Chocolate Irish Cream Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting by Daily Dish Recipes
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Creamsicle Cupcakes by Red Cottage Chronicles
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffernutter Frosting by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Gluten Free Rocky Road Cupcakes by Frugal & Fit
Honey Lemon Bee Cupcakes by Simply Inspired Meals
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting by The Olive Blogger
Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cupcakes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Lost Princess Cupcakes by Seduction in the Kitchen
Orange You Glad Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes by The Beard and The Baker
Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes by Crumb Top Baking
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes by Bowl Me Over
Pudding Pop Cupcakes by Nik Snacks
Small Batch Birthday Cake Cupcakes by Cheese Curd in Paradise
Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
Strawberry Basil Cupcakes with Chocolate Balsamic Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Strawberry Cupcakes by Confessions of a Baking Queen
Strawberry Jello Cupcakes by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
Sweet Summertime Cupcakes by Cooking with Carlee
Tres Leches Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
Vanilla Bourbon Bacon Cupcakes by Our Good Life
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes by Simple Family Crazy Life
Watermelon Themed Cake & Cupcakes by The Mandatory Mooch
White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes by Triple Chocolate Kitchen