This vibrant Strawberry Spinach Salad is a flavorful spring salad when baby spinach and strawberries are at their best. Topped with a tangy hot bacon salad dressing this is one salad that will disappear quickly.
This delicious salad is perfect for special spring events like Easter or Mother's Day. But it is so easy and delicious you can serve it any day of the week.
The hot bacon and onion dressing sends the flavor meter through the roof. It only takes a few minutes but cooking the onions in the bacon grease and vinegar for a few minutes softens and caramelizes them to perfection. Combined with the salty bacon it is perfection.
Tips for Strawberry Spinach Salad
Be sure to turn the fan on over the stove before adding the vinegar, the fumes can get a touch intense.
If you don't have the red onion you can use shallots or even yellow onion.
Instead of red wine vinegar you can use white wine or sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Hot Bacon Dressing Ingredients:
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon (cut into 1” pieces)
- ½ cup red onion (diced small)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey (preferably local)
- ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach (rinsed and patted dry)
- 8-10 large fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Add bacon to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer cooked bacon with a slotted spatula to a plate lined with paper towels. Blot excess grease from bacon with a paper towel and set aside.
- Carefully drain and discard all but one tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet and return to heat. (Wipe any drips with a thick, damp cloth to prevent a flare up if cooking over flame). Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add red wine, honey, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined and heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir bacon and extra virgin olive oil into the skillet until combined.
- Add the baby spinach, sliced strawberries, and goat cheese to a large mixing bowl. Pour hot bacon dressing on top and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Salad Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!
Leave a Reply