This vibrant Strawberry Spinach Salad is a flavorful spring salad when baby spinach and strawberries are at their best. Topped with a tangy hot bacon dressing this is one salad that will disappear quickly.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a show-stopping salad that will have everyone asking for the recipe. So why wait? Whip up this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing and impress your taste buds and your guests.
This delicious salad is perfect for special spring events like Easter or Mother's Day. But, it is so easy and delicious you can serve it any day of the week.
The hot bacon and onion dressing sends the flavor meter through the roof. It only takes a few minutes, but cooking the onions in the bacon grease and vinegar for a few minutes softens and caramelizes them to perfection. Combined with the salty bacon it is perfection.
If adding a hot dressing to a salad seems strange, it is perfect for spinach salads. The warmth of the dressing wilts the spinach slightly, softening the leaves just a bit and intensifying the flavor.
Tips for Strawberry Spinach Salad
If you don't have the red onion you can use shallots or even green or yellow onion.
Instead of red wine vinegar you can use white wine or apple cider or sherry vinegar. Be sure to turn the fan on over the stove before adding the vinegar, the hot vinegar fumes can get a touch intense.
The salad is equally delicious with other berries as well: blueberries, blackberries or raspberries. Or use a combination of berries for some sweetness to contrast the salty savory bacon and tangy vinaigrette.
More Spring Sides Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Enjoy the fresh tastes of spring with these delicious side dishes:
Fresh Spring Side Dishes
- Greek Spinach Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Herb-Roasted Carrots & Parsnips from The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Art of Natural Living
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Hot Bacon Dressing Ingredients:
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon (cut into 1” pieces)
- ½ cup red onion (diced small)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach (rinsed and patted dry)
- 8-10 large fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Add bacon to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer cooked bacon with a slotted spatula to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the red onion to the bacon grease in the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add red wine, honey, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined and heated through, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add bacon and extra virgin olive oil into the skillet and stir to combine.
- In a large mixing add the baby spinach, sliced strawberries, and goat cheese. Pour hot bacon dressing on top and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Salad Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!