Looking for a light summer meal? This Chicken Caesar Salad is a simple and healthy meal with loads of flavor that won't leave you feeling weighed down.
My Dad made the best Caesar salad. It was a specialty served at most family celebrations. Not that it is particularly hard to make, but it was just one of those things that he was always responsible to make.
The salad is actually quite simple, consisting of romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese and usually croutons. It is the dressing that makes it so unique. Loaded with umami (the fifth savory taste) thanks to the anchovy paste and Parmesan cheese, the dressing adds all the flavor you could want to the basic ingredients.
Ingredient Notes for Chicken Caesar Salad
Chicken: in the recipe I bake up some simple boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. Can you use leftover cooked chicken? OF COURSE! Can you flavor it with something other than Italian herbs? OF COURSE!
Romaine Lettuce: romaine is traditional for a Caesar salad. But, ultimately it is your salad. Use whatever lettuce you want.
Parmesan cheese: pre-grated cheese is fine, but for a more dramatic presentation and a bigger "bite' of Parmesan, get a wedge and shave of the Parmesan for the top of the salad using a vegetable peeler.
Anchovy paste: there really isn't a good substitute for anchovy paste in the dressing. It is just part of the quintessential taste of a Caesar dressing. No, it does not make the dressing overly fishy and it doesn't have the weird texture that the fillets do. You can find it in the condiment aisle of your grocery store.
More Summer Salad Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Here are some healthy summer salad recipes to lighten up your meals and take advantage of that beautiful in season produce:
- Chicken Caesar Salad from That Recipe
- Creamy Bacon Tomato Pasta Salad from Blogghetti
- Greek Panzanella from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Greek Salad with Grape Tomatoes and Feta from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Italian Sub Salad from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Skillet Radish Bacon Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Southwestern Oven-Fried Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Spinach Salad from Magical Ingredients
- The Best Potato Salad from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoon anchovy paste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (cleaned, chopped, and dried completely)
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and anchovy paste in a medium bowl.
- Stir in grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil into the dressing and whisk until thoroughly incorporated into the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Taste before using and season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Assemble the salad by adding the chopped romaine lettuce to a large bowl. Add the shaved Parmesan and drizzle with ⅓ cup dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- Divide salad between chilled salad plates and top with the sliced chicken breast. Serve immediately with the remaining salad dressing and additional shaved Parmesan on the side.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Flavorful Summer Salad Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!