Grill up some corn and turn it into this amazing, but simple salad bursting with fresh summer flavors like juicy tomatoes and herbs.
Smokey grilled corn, juicy ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, caramelized charred onions combined with some fresh herbs and citrus juice. Yum!
Eating your colors is easy with this delicious summer salad. Sure, you can use frozen corn and enjoy it anytime of year, but it is at it's best when corn and tomatoes are in season.
And grilling always makes everything taste better.
Bonus: this salad is so easy. Just grill up the corn and red onions while you are grilling your main course and prep the salad while you let the meat or poultry rest.
Ingredients for Corn, Tomato Avocado Salad
Fresh is best in this salad.
You can use frozen or canned if the ingredients aren't in season If you do, toast the corn kernels and onions in a skillet a little to give them some color and caramelization. And consider using fire roasted tomatoes (drained) to add a little smokiness back in to the dish.
- fresh corn
- butter (or oil of your choice, butter flavored coconut oil keeps the flavor but is vegan)
- red onion (or white, yellow or green)
- cherry or grape tomatoes (or larger tomatoes, chopped)
- avocado (optional, I guess)
- fresh parsley (or other fresh herb like basil or cilantro)
- fresh lime or lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
Grilled Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 2 large ears fresh corn (husks and silk removed)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted (or other oil)
- 1 medium red onion (halved and cut into thick slices)
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 large avocado (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush corn with melted butter.Place corn and red onion slices over direct heat.
- Rotate the corn a quarter turn every few minutes until each side is slightly charred. Flip red onion once while corn is cooking.
- Remove from heat and slice kernels from cob with a sharp knife. Discard cobs and transfer onions and corn kernels to a large salad bowl.
- Add tomatoes, avocado, fresh parsley, and lime juice to the corn. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss gently to combine.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Other summer salads
Until next time, happy eating.