Tabbouli Salad (Tabbuleh) is a healthy Middle Eastern Salad made with whole grains, parsley,mint, tomatoes and cucumbers with a lemon olive oil dressing.
Tabbouli is simple to make, but it can take some time for the grains to cook/soak depending on what you use. Traditionally it is made with bulgur or cracked wheat, which can be ready in 5 to 45 minutes depending on how coarse the grind is. I have also used barley which takes an hour or more to cook. Or you could use couscous or even quinoa which both cook very rapidly.
Fresh herbs and firm tomatoes are a must for this. Especially the fresh parsley.
Otherwise this is a quick and simple side dish.
Easy Middle Eastern Food Recipes
- Ghorayeba by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Kufta in Tahini Sauce with Efficiency Tricks by Art of Natural Living
- Nan e Barbari | Persian Flat Bread by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Palestinian Musakhan Made Easy by Pandemonium Noshery
- Shakshuka by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Tabbouli by That Recipe
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
- 2 cups cooked bulgur (cracked wheat), couscous, quinoa, or barley
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, seeded and diced)
- ½ cup green onions with tops (chopped)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh mint (chopped)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons black or green olives (chopped)
- ¼ cup celery (chopped)
- 2-3 cooked artichoke hearts (chopped)
- Prepare bulgur or other grain according to package directions.
- Combine bulgur, vegetables, and herbs in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Immediately pour over salad ingredients and toss gently to coat.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for 1 hour. Serve on individual salad plates or on a platter over a bed of lettuce leaves. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and a slice of lemon and tomato.
We love tabbouli but I've never made it before...definitely giving this a try!
This sounds so refreshing, herby ,nutritious, and delicious!
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng
Looks so good! I need to make this more often!
I've always seen it on the menu, but I've never ordered it. I don't know why. It looks delicious! I think I need to add this to my menu.