Sweet Potatoes with Lemon are lightly sweetened and bursting with lemony goodness for a delicious side dish that is special enough for holidays but easy enough for weeknights.
I am not a big fan of canned sweet potatoes drenched in brown sugar and topped with marshmallows. I prefer to save my dessert for after the meal.
These sweet potatoes are slightly sweet and the tang from the lemon makes them a nice complement to heavy holiday meals.
If you are cooking them for a holiday meal, you can peel and slice the potatoes and lemon earlier in the day and cook it while the main course is resting.
Sweet Potato Colors
Sweet potatoes come in a variety of colors inside and out. The skin can be brown, red, yellow or orange. The flesh can be pale white, yellow, orange or even purple.
Those orange "yams" served at Thanksgiving aren't really yams, they are orange colored sweet potatoes. Yams have a tough peel with eyes like potatoes and are starchy inside.
Yes, I know the cans say yams and even in the produce aisle I've seen them labeled as yams. Probably because it is easier for them to mislabel it than to educate the consumer. But now you know.
You can use any color sweet potato for this dish. I went with pale yellow for a "Spring" look.
Easy Easter Side Dishes from #OurFamilyTable
Looking for some delightful side dishes for your Spring feast? Try some of these easy and tasty recipes:
Easy Easter Side Dish Recipes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes from Jen Around the World
- Colorful Spring Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Creamed Greens Casserole from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Hash Brown Casserole from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Japanese Potato Salad with Yukon Gold Potatoes from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mom's Investment Salad (aka Ambrosia Salad) from The Spiffy Cookie
- Romano Beans Stir Fry from Magical Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes with Lemon from That Recipe
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in 1" thick slices)
- 1 medium lemon (thinly sliced, crosswise)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or your favorite sugar substitute)
- dash salt
- Place potatoes in medium sauce pan with sugar and 2 ½ cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes. Add lemon slices.
- Cook 10-15 minutes longer until potatoes are tender, adding more water if necessary. Sprinkle lightly with a pinch of salt, if desired, and serve.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Spring Side Dishes
Until next time, happy eating!