Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make side dish that will wow your family and friends? Look no further than this tasty and aromatic Lemon Thyme Wild Rice Pilaf!
Packed with flavor—and only requiring a few ingredients—this dish is sure to become your go-to side for any occasion. With the addition of wild rice and herbs, the classic pilaf recipe is elevated to a whole new level of deliciousness.
And the best part? It can be made in only 45 minutes. So, get ready to impress your guests with this aromatic and deliciously satisfying Lemon Thyme Wild Rice Pilaf!
This recipe is a family favorite I got from my mom who got it from a friend who... well I don't know. But, every time I make it I ask myself why I don't make it more.
What type of rice should I use?
Obviously you need some wild rice, but you can pair it with brown, white or converted rice. Or a combination of those (like this blend).
Each of the different rice types take slightly different cooking times and may need additional liquid. I have detailed it in the recipe below. Basically you want to cook both the wild rice and "other" rice in stock until done: start with the longest cooking rice then add the rest later.
You can do it in two separate pots and then combine them at the end as the original recipe instructed. But, I am not big on washing extra dishes.
Variations to Lemon Thyme Wild Rice Pilaf
This recipe is not only simple and healthy, but it's also incredibly customizable.
Besides switching up the rice, you can vary the other ingredients as well.
Swap the thyme for other fresh herbs like oregano, rosemary or basil, Use lime or orange instead of the lemon.
You could also add a sprinkle of feta cheese or maybe a handful of dried cranberries or chopped nuts.
More Whole Grain Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Whole Grains add more fiber to your diet, and delicious variety to your diet. Try these recipes soon:
Whole Grain Recipes
- 100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Apple Pie Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls from Jen Around the World
- Mini Fruit Tartlets Recipe from In Our Spare Time
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Jelly Bombs from Magical Ingredients
- 1 cup wild rice
- 5 cups chicken broth (mixed use)
- 1 cup converted white rice (or brown rice or conventional white rice)
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cups tomatoes (peeled, seeded and diced)
- For BROWN RICE: add full 5 cups of stock to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add wild rice and brown rice at the same time. Cook until done, about 45 minutes.
- For CONVERTED or CONVENTIONAL WHITE rice: bring 3 cups of chicken stock to a boil and add wild rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer. Let brown rice cook for 25 minutes, then add remaining stock and white rice. Cook until done, an additional 20 minutes.
- Taste test rice, if not done add up to an additional ½ cup of water or stock and allow rice to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest and thyme. Cook until the liquid had evaporated. Remove the stalks of thyme. Add honey and season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in tomato.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
more rice recipes
Until next time, happy eating.