This Chicken and Tomato Tortilla Soup is an easy meal to warm you up on a cold day. Ready in 30 minutes and you probably have the ingredients in your kitchen already.
This Tortilla Soup recipe serves 4 as a side soup, but you can easily double it up to make it a complete meal for 4.
It is simple to adapt for special diets:
- vegetarian: vegetable broth and black beans for the chicken broth and chicken
- corn allergies or don’t have corn tortillas on hand: flour tortillas are just as good
- gluten free: just make sure your stock and tortillas are gluten free and the recipe should be good as is.
Easy Tortilla Soup is a simple and satisfying Mexican soup loaded with chicken and tortillas. Ready in 30 minutes Includes gluten free, corn free and vegetarian alternatives.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups yellow onion diced
- 1-2 clove garlic minced – about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 can 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 can 14 ounce chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4-6 Small corn tortillas or 2 soft taco size flour tortillas
- oil for frying
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded (for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in large pot or cast iron skillet. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté slightly without browning.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, stock, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and then reduced to simmer. Continue cooking until chicken is done.
- While soup is cooking, cut tortillas into ½-inch strips. Heat ½ inch oil in a skillet until a test tortilla strip sizzles when dropped into oil. Fry tortilla strips one layer at a time. Watch carefully so not to burn. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all are fried.
- To serve: place fried tortillas in bottom of serving bowls. Pour in soup and garnish with grated cheese and a few sprigs of cilantro.
Other Easy Mexican Recipes
Until next time, happy eating.