With just a few ingredients you probably already have on hand you can quickly whip up this warm and hearty French Onion Soup to serve as a first course or even a main course.
I had pint jar of beef broth that didn’t seal (grrr!) so instead of trying it again I just scaled down the recipe below to one third. Which was fine, since I knew the boys would not appreciate it as much as I did. It made a nice lunch for me for 2 days.
You can use beef, chicken or vegetable broth depending on what you have on hand. And the cheese can be Parmesan, Swiss or Gruyere or any combination of the three.
It whips up in less than 45 minutes and is so easy.
French Onion Soup
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups beef broth or chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- French bread slices, either 1 large slice or several baguette slices per serving
- 1 cup Parmesan, Swiss or Gruyere cheese grated
- In a large pot, sauté onions in the olive oil until browned.
- Add broth and pepper, simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, preheat oven to 275 degrees and lightly toast the bread.
- Pour soup into a 2 quart casserole dish or individual serving bowls, top with toasted bread and grated cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes.
- Classic French Onion Soup with crusty bread and gooey cheese on top
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.