This Tuscan Sausage and White Bean soup makes a wonderful rustic and hearty meal. Throw it in the slow cooker and come home to a warm and satisfying meal.
This recipe makes use of a wonderful flavor booster: Parmesan cheese rind.
That hard end piece that is too tough to grate adds “umami” the so-called fifth taste element. I’m sure Italian grandmothers didn’t know scientifically why it worked, they just knew the soup tasted better and they didn’t want anything to go to waste. So be sure you save yours from now on to add to your soups and sauces.This Tuscan Sausage and White Bean soup makes a wonderful rustic and hearty meal. Click To Tweet
Rustic and hearty Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup recipe. Delicious slow cooker sausage and kale soup ready to comfort you on a cold night.
- 4 ounce pancetta cubed
- 2 pounds bulk mild sausage
- 2 cans cannellini beans (15 ounce size)
- 6-7 cups chicken stock divided
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 inch piece of hard Parmesan cheese rind optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup half and half tempered**
- 3 cup fresh kale finely chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Brown pancetta in large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage to the same skillet and brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from pan. Transfer pancetta and sausage to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Puree one can of cannellini beans (undrained) in a blender or food processor. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the puree and whole beans to slow cooker crock.
- Add 6 cups chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes, and Parmesan cheese rind to crock and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7.
Remove lid and add tempered half and half, kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and remaining chicken stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.
For less salt, drain and rinse both cans of cannellini beans before pureeing one can with a little water.
To prevent curdling, temper the half and half before adding to the soup by adding a little bit of the hot liquid to it before stirring it into the slow cooker crock.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.