These Amish Sugarless Cookies are a tasty way to enjoy a sweet treat while still eating healthy.
The recipe for these wholesome beauties is from The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook (affiliate link). Beverly Lewis is the author of several book series including The Heritage of Lancaster County (affiliate link) which revolves around the story of a rebellious young Amish woman.
They are loaded with fresh apples, raisins, dates (which I didn’t have so I swapped in some dried cranberries) and nuts. All of which just scream Fall to me. I was low on all purpose flour so I swapped in a gluten free baking mix that doesn’t have any leaveners and the cookies came out perfectly.
The cookies are simple to make, but they take a bit of extra time because of the cooling after you boil the fruit and then the chilling of the dough before baking.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Delicious and healthy Amish Sugarless Cookies are loaded with fruit and nuts so you don’t miss the sugar. #glutenfree #sugarfreecookies” quote=”Delicious and healthy Amish Sugarless Cookies are loaded with fruit and nuts so you don’t miss the sugar.” theme=”style2″]
So the next time you are craving a little something sweet, but want to keep it healthy, give these cookies a try.
Amish Sugarless Cookies: cookies loaded with fruit and nuts instead of sugar. From Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook. #glutenfreecookies #nosugaradded #healthycookies #thatrecipeblog
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dates chopped
- 1/2 cup apples chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup gluten free baking mix or all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts pecans or almonds (chopped)
- In a medium saucepan, boil raisins, dates and apples in 1/2 cup water for 3 minutes.
- Mix in shortening and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs, honey, vanilla and baking soda mixing well.
- Stir in flour and nuts then refrigerate dough until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drop dough by teaspoonful on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
If using a gluten free baking mix with leaveners already added to it, omit the baking soda.
Until next time, happy eating.