This Chocolate Cream Cheese dough is delicious and malleable making it great for rolling and shaping. Oh, and it is delicious too.
I love cookie dough that can be made into different cookies, especially this time of year. You just make up a double batch of the dough, or even triple it, and then add a little of this and a little of that and voila! Different cookies.
You can cut these into shapes and drizzle on some chocolate or icing and crushed cookies or sprinkles. Or make them into sandwich cookies. Or fill them with chocolate mints and shape into trees.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 ounce cream cheese (softened)
- 3 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (melted and cooled)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounce vanilla or chocolate candy coating
- 3/4 cups crushed peppermint candy (chopped nuts, candy sprinkles)
- 36 rectangular chocolate mint candies (Andes for example)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine sugar, butter, vanilla extract, egg, cream cheese and chocolate in a large bowl until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients and mix until a smooth dough is combined.
- For simple Chocolate Mint (or Sprinkles): Roll dough to 1/8 inch and cut with cutters as above, or roll into a 2-3 inch cylinder, slice 1/8 inch circles. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool, top with melted chocolate or vanilla coating and top with crushed peppermint candy or sprinkles. Or you can roll the edges in the coating and candy.
- For Chocolate Mint Trees: Roll half of the dough into a 12 inch by 12 inch square. Cut into 4 inch squares, then cut each square on the diagonal to make 18 triangles. Place a rectangular chocolate mint in the middle of each triangle. Fold corners into the middle and press along the seam. Shape the bottom points to make the trunk. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool and drizzle with chocolate or vanilla coating.
Get more Christmas cookie recipes in our ebook Bake the Season Bright available on Amazon Kindle.