Curried Sweet Potato Soup is a flavorful and easy vegan soup that cooks in under 30 minutes!
While flipping through the original May I Have a Copy of That Recipe cookbook that was the precursor to this website, I came across a recipe for Curried Sweet Potato Soup that I knew wasn’t on the blog yet. Mostly because I know Ma’am never made. She put it in as a joke for a friend that does not care for coconut.
I also knew I had two yams in the cupboard which are almost the same thing as sweet potatoes, at least as far as this recipe is concerned.
I lightened up the original recipe with some coconut milk instead of half and half and a tweak here and there to match the ingredients I had on hand and I ended up with an awesome vegan meal.
Serve with your favorite curry type toppings like toasted coconut, chopped peanuts, raisins (cranberries in this photo) or maybe some chutney.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Curried Sweet Potato Soup delicious vegan (or vegetarian) soup that is quick and easy to make. #vegetariansoup #veganrecipe #healthyeating” quote=”Curried Sweet Potato Soup delicious vegan (or vegetarian) soup that is quick and easy to make. ” theme=”style2″]
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes or yams about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 Medium onions chopped
- 1 can coconut milk 13-14 ounces
- 1/2 cup flake coconut
- 1/2 -1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- chopped peanuts for serving
- toasted coconut for serving
- raisins for serving
- chutney for serving
- Peel sweet potatoes or yams and cut into chunks. Place in large saucepan and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the water.
- Puree sweet potatoes in blender or food processor.
- Rinse the saucepan and return to the stove. Add the oil and onions and sauté onions until translucent, 1 -2 minutes. Add coconut milk and flaked coconut and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut mixture to the food processor with sweet potatoes. Add curry and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Thin to desired thickness with stock. Taste and more curry powder if desired.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Ashley from Forgetful Momma is joining Audrey from That Recipe to be our co-hosts for March! Please make sure that you follow them in at least one way! They will be commenting on and pinning many of your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.