Easy recipe from smothered greens cooked with bacon and onions.
Confession time: I hated greens as a kid but I love them now. My Dad grew Swiss chard and I would do anything to avoid eating it. Now I like all kinds of greens: dandelion, collard, mustard, chard, beet and turnips. Especially when you cook them with bacon and onions.
If you find greens a bit too bitter, this is a great way to serve them. The fat and salt in the bacon, hint of sweetness and caramelized onions help counterbalance the innate bitterness of the greens.
Feel free to use your favorite type of sturdy greens to make this: turnip, mustard, collard, beet, dandelion etc.
You can also use any kind of bacon: pork, turkey, beef or even tempeh. You might want to add a little olive oil if your bacon is not very fatty.
One word of warning if you have never cooked with greens before – they will shrink! You will start with a pot full of green leaves and end up with about a third of a pot of cooked greens.
Bacon Smothered Greens
- 2 pound fresh greens turnip, beet, collard, mustard, dandelion, etc.
- 4-5 pieces bacon pork, turkey, beef or tempeh
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash greens.
- Chop bacon and onions.
- In a large saucepan, sauté bacon over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté a few minutes until beginning to turn translucent.
- Add greens, sugar and 1/2 cup of water and stir briefly.
- Cover and lower heat to medium low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until greens are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.