If you are looking for a healthy and flavorful soup to warm you up on a chilly day, this Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup is just the ticket. And did I mention it can be ready in about 30 minutes? Gotta love weeknight fast.
An important thing to know about making your own soup is that amounts don't have to be exact. If you have a little more or less squash that's okay. The original recipe called for 15 ounce cans of broth and coconut milk. My coconut milk can was a little less, but I use homemade broth so I splashed in a little more and added a bit more spices. I do love freshly grated nutmeg. MMMM!
How to make vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Chances are, if you are vegan, you are clever enough to know you just need to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
I am merely typing this here with a big bold header because in the past I have had people blast me for claiming a recipe is vegan when it includes a non-vegan ingredients just because they chose to skip to the recipe and ignore the preceding text that offers possible substitutions.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 pound butternut squash (peeled and cut into about 1" cubes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (15 ounce can)
- 1 can coconut milk (13-15 ounce size)
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- pistachios or peanuts (chopped and toasted)
- In a large stockpot heat olive oil, onions and garlic over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced squash, nutmeg, chili powder and salt. Cook for several minutes until you can begin to smell the spices.
- Add the broth and coconut milk and simmer for 10-15 minutes until squash is tender and the liquid has cooked down a bit.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or put it in a blender/ food processor in batches.
- To serve, sprinkle with shredded coconut and nuts as well as additional nutmeg and chili powder if desired.