If you are looking for a bit more traditional Easter cookie this year, may I suggest these Koulourakia. These Greek Easter Cookies may look humble compared to the colorful sprinkle covered cookies we now associate with Easter. But, trust me, these are addicting.
I love the first Thursday of every month because it is Fill the Cookie Jar sharing day. Each of the FTCJ bloggers makes a cookie or bar recipe and then we all share on the same day. Our theme this month is Easter or Spring. Be sure to check out what goodies the others have created for more fun treats.
In the end they have a nice crunchy exterior and a soft lightly orange flavored interior. I like that they are just lightly sweet and not overpowering considering all of the other Easter goodies I will probably have in the house.
Koulourakia: Greek Easter Cookie
- ½ cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 egg yolk (use the white for another recipe)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and orange juice. Scrape sides and beat until combined.
- Add baking soda to the milk and stir to dissolve.
- Add flour and milk to the butter mixture in 3 alternating additions (add ⅓ of the flour, mix, add half of the milk, mix, then more flour, mix, etc.)
- On a floured surface roll out the dough into a long snake about ½ inch around. Cut into 6" pieces.
- Fold pieces in half and twist then place on baking sheet a few inches apart. Whisk together the egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush the tops of the cookies. Top with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until cookies are golden brown.
Check out what the other Fill the Cookie Jar bloggers made this month.
- Blueberry/Lemon Macaroons by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Carrot Oatmeal Cookies by Join Us Pull Up A Chair
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips Cookies by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Bunny Cookie Pops by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Honeybee Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Koulourakia: Greek Easter Cookies by That Recipe
- Lemon Butter Cookies by Marlys This and That
- Loaded Oreo M&M Cookie Bars by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- No Bake Bird's Nest Cookies by Making Memories with your Kids
- Spring Garden Malted Milk Blondies by Famished Fish, Finicky Shark
More Easter Dessert Recipes
Until next time, happy eating.