This flavorful All Beef Glazed Meatloaf is moist and tender with a tangy glaze for color and flavor.
Many meatloaf recipes add two types of ground meats for flavor and texture. And they use a high fat content meat. This recipe, adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook uses a few tricks to keep the right texture and moisture: gelatin and powdered cheese.
By freezing shredded cheese and pulverizing it in the food processor you spread moisture throughout the meatloaf without odd bits of cheese people like my husband and son won’t touch. The unflavored gelatin is not for binding, but actually texture. The results are profound.
It takes a few more minutes to saute the vegetables first, but it helps mellow and soften them, so don’t skip that step.
Glazed All-Beef Meatloaf
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese finely shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 2/3 cups finely crushed crackers such as Saltines or Ritz
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef 10 or 15% fat
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Spread shredded cheese on a plate and put in the freezer.
- Adjust oven rack to the middle and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a broiler pan or place a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet, top with aluminum foil and poke holes every 1/2 inch or so with a skewer for drainage.
- Whisk broth and eggs in a large bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top of mix and let it sit.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onions and celery until beginning to brown (about 5 minutes). Add thyme, garlic and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add tomato juice, scraping any brown bits from the pan for 1 minute
- Add onion mixture to broth/egg mixture along with cracker crumbs, parsley, soy sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Remove cheese from freezer and either by hand, or with a food processor/blender, crush into a powder. Add to the other ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add meat and mix gently until just combined. Shape into a large rectangle (approximately 10 x 6 inches and 2 inches high) on the prepared pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees.
- While loaf is baking, combine glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for 5 minutes. When meatloaf is done, remove from oven and turnoven to broil. Spread half of glaze over meatloaf. Broil for about 5 minutes until it bubbles and begins to brown. Repeat with remaining glaze.
- Let meatloaf rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.