Coconut Macaroons are a simple coconut drop cookie that contain no flours or leaveners so they can be enjoyed during Passover or for those wanting a delicious gluten free treat.
This recipe swaps honey for sugar to make them a bit healthier and sweeter. You can keep them simple or drizzle or dip these in chocolate.
Macaroons and Macarons
These days it seems you can't write about one without mentioning the other.
Both are different variations of an Italian cookie made with egg whites, almonds and sugar. The macaroon switched to coconut when they came to the Americas and evolved into a simple drop cookie versus the macaron which became a fancy sandwich cookie when they made their way to France.
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold the honey, vanilla, coconut, and salt into the egg whites with a spatula until thoroughly combined. Do not overwork! Fold just until ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch between.
- Bake at 350°F until the cookies become golden brown on top and around the edges, about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Coconut Cookie Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!