These Orange Cranberry Scones are a treat for the senses with their tender flaky texture, sweet and tart orange and cranberries and a hint of fragrant cardamom to bring it all together. Delicious for breakfast, dessert, after school snack or tea time.
Cardamom is a wonderfully fragrant spice with hints of mint and citrus. I rarely cook with it, which is a shame because it is wonderful. It is used often in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking as well as Scandinavia. I don't use a lot in this recipe and you could definitely make these without it if you don't have any. But, I really enjoyed the extra layer of flavor it added.
Scones in general are simple to make. A few tips to keep them tender and flaky
- Keep your butter cold, some people recommend cutting it and then freezing it before making the recipe.
- Do not overmix the dough. Once it forms a dough and is evenly mixed, shape it and bake it.
I have a few other scone recipes you may enjoy as well:
[click_to_tweet tweet="These flaky and flavorful Orange Cranberry Scones are laced with fragrant cardamom giving them a heavenly aroma and taste. Perfect for tea time, breakfast, dessert or anytime. #scones #teatime " quote="These flaky and flavorful Orange Cranberry Scones are laced with fragrant cardamom giving them a heavenly aroma and taste. " theme="style2"]
Orange Cranberry Scones with Cardamom
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter (cut in ¼ inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder 1 teaspoon cardamom and salt 3 or 4 times to combine.
- Sprinkle butter pieces and orange zest on top and pulse 10-12 times until mixture looks like coarse meal.
- In a large bowl, combine flour mixture and cranberries. Stir in cream until a dough begins to form.
- Place dough on a floured cutting board and shape into a 9 inch round disk. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly brown, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and ¼ teaspoon cardamom. Thin with a tablespoon or more of fresh orange juice to create a glaze. Drizzle over the scones and serve.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.