This Spicy Pineapple Pork is sure to become a new family favorite. Fresh pineapple and spicy jalapeno are paired with toasted sesame oil, five-spice powder, creamy peanut butter, and fresh cilantro for a rich and flavorful combination.
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. Other than the five-spice powder, you are probably familiar with all of the other ingredients.
If you don’t have the five-spice you can use:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon crushed anise seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
One important tip: be sure to trim as much excess fat as possible from the pork butt roast prior to cooking. Otherwise the juices will be quite greasy at serving time.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”This flavorful Spicy Pineapple Pork Roast is a fabulously simple dish made easier with the #slowcooker. #porkrecipe” quote=”This flavorful Spicy Pineapple Pork Roast is a fabulously simple dish made easier with the slow cooker.” theme=”style2″]
This Spicy Pineapple Pork Roast is a feast your family will love. A spicy sweet combination of ingredients cooked in the slow cooker.
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 16 ounce fresh pineapple cut into 1” chunks
- ¼ cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 pound pork shoulder butt roast trimmed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
Combine onion, fresh pineapple chunks, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, five-spice powder, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and peanut butter in a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season trimmed pork roast on all sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Sear roast on all sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer seared pork to slow cooker crock.
Reduce heat in skillet to medium and add the fresh pineapple juice. Use a spatula to scrape up flavorful brown bits from bottom of pan. Remove from heat and pour pan juices into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook over high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
Stir in fresh cilantro and transfer pork and pineapple mixture to a serving platter with a slotted spoon.
Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch (arrowroot) and ¼ cup of juices from the slow cooker. Pour remaining juices from the slow cooker to a saucepan and heat over medium-high. Whisk in the arrowroot slurry until well combined. Cook for several minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickened.
Serve the pork over rice topped with sauce.
This is excellent served with Cilantro Lime Rice
Other slow cooker favorites: