Vichyssoise is a simple hearty potato and leek soup that can be served hot or chilled.
This recipe is from my Grandmother. Not the French one, the Texan. Friends and family referred to it as “Ruth’s Sick Soup”. She always brought it over when someone was sick and they always felt better soon. Of course she used onions instead of leeks.
Potato Soup (Vichyssoise)
- 4 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup yellow onions or leeks chopped (white part only of leeks, greens reserved)
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock enough to completely cover the potatoes with extra liquid on top of them
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk optional
- Add potatoes, onions (leeks), celery and parsley to a large pot. Add stock until vegetables are covered with liquid plus a bit more on top. Cover pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmering. Cook until potatoes are soft enough to begin to “mush”.
- Mash with potato masher for chunkier soup. For more pureed soup use an immersion blender or pour all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Thin with cream, if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped leek greens (or parsley) if desired.
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
No Tasty Tuesdays December 24!
We are taking the week off to spend with our families. We’ll be back on New Year’s Eve. Have a wonderful holiday.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.