This decadent Coffee Free Caramel Tiramisu is an elegantly simple semi-homemade dessert that is sure to wow all of your guests, including those that don't like coffee or those too young to imbibe.
My son saw a recipe on YouTube for Tiramisu and wanted to try it, but he doesn't like coffee. And I didn't exactly want to serve him a rum soaked treat either.
So, I came up with this easy semi-homemade dessert lasagna with caramel syrup instead of the traditional espresso mixed with dark rum.
I also made it a small version using a loaf pan, which would serve 4-6 easily. For a crowd you can triple it, using a 9x13 inch pan.
About the Ingredients
Who would imagine finding ladyfingers would be the challenge for this recipe? After 3 stores, I gave up and went with Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies (not a sponsor). Basically they are 2 lady fingers with chocolate in the middle. More chocolate is a good thing in my book.
I used a salted caramel coffee syrup for soaking. Another option is flavored tea like this Apple Tea-ramisu recipe from Jolene's Recipe Journal.
I also skipped the homemade whipped cream step and went with non-dairy whipped topping because I was feeling lazy. Since this is presweetened as is the coffee syrup I omitted any additional sugar.
If the thought of eating raw eggs leaves you apprehensive, you can cook the egg yolks over a double boiler for a few minutes until they reach 160 degrees. Let cool completely before continuing.
Coffee Free Family Friendly Tiramisu
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 cup non dairy whipped topping or homemade whipped cream
- 1 bag Milano Cookies, any flavor, or ladyfingers
- 1 cup caramel flavored coffee syrup
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (for garnish)
- In a mixing bowl, whip egg yolks until pale yellow and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add mascarpone and beat until smooth, about 30 seconds. Gently fold in whipped topping to mix but leave it fluffy.
- Pour the caramel syrup into a shallow bowl. Soak a few cookies at a time for about 10-15 seconds a side, soaking both sides. If using ladyfingers, only soak about 3-5 seconds since they are softer.
- Place cookies in a single layer in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. I cut a few in half lengthwise to cover the entire bottom.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture across the top. Sift about half of the cocoa powder on top using a fine mesh strainer or sifter.
- Repeat all three layers one more time.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours.
- Grate chocolate on top for garnish if desired. Slice an serve.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Caramel Desserts
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
Until next time, happy eating!
Leave a Reply