Summer is fast approaching and if you are looking for something fun and educational to do with the kids this summer, here’s a little kitchen science experiment: The Effect of Temperature and Torsion on a Saccharide… in layman’s terms Salt Water Taffy.
The first time I made this recipe was in high school chemistry class the day before winter break. Through the grace of Facebook, I tracked down my Mr. Ulrich and asked if he still had a copy of it. He was more than happy to send it to me.
If you want the actual chemistry experiment, using terms like “reagent” and “moles”, you can print this one. Otherwise, the cooking term translation is below.
A few tips,
- be careful doubling or tripling this. It is better to make a few smaller batches unless you have plenty of hands to help with the pulling.
- use lots of margarine on the pan and your hands.
- have a good candy thermometer like this one or this one.
- have fun and don’t worry about the results too much.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- If you would like to be a co-host for this party, please email Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org. You would post this party every Tuesday at 7 am Central Time and include an original recipe, a round-up of recipes, or your favorite features from this party along with the link-up. We also may need your help pinning up to 25 recipes to our party board every week.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.