Traditional Creamy Bacon Broccoli Salad often falls victim to one of the biggest crimes in salad-dom – drowning in dressing. Then you add the nuts and bacon and this “healthy” salad is not so healthy any more.
I trim it down by using yogurt in the dressing and cutting back on the bacon and nuts – trust me, there are still plenty in there.
I like the broccoli raw, but if it is too crunchy for you consider blanching it for a few minutes (no more than that!). Just put it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then strain and immediately dunk in ice water to stop the cooking and keep it bright green.
Healthy New Years Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Add these healthy recipes to your meal plan for the New Year.
A lightened version of Creamy Bacon and Broccoli Salad, lower in fat, sugar and calories.
- 1 head broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup red or other sweet onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts almonds or pecans or raw sunflower seeds (unchopped)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 pieces turkey bacon or other lean bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt low or non fat
- 2 tablespoons stevia or sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Combine salad ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients.
Mix dressing with salad, let chill for at least 1 hour before serving.