Traditional Creamy Bacon Broccoli Salad often falls victim to one of the biggest crimes in salad-dom - drowning in dressing. Then you add the nuts and bacon and this "healthy" salad is not so healthy any more.
I trim it down by using yogurt in the dressing and cutting back on the bacon and nuts - trust me, there are still plenty in there.
I like the broccoli raw, but if it is too crunchy for you consider blanching it for a few minutes (no more than that!). Just put it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then strain and immediately dunk in ice water to stop the cooking and keep it bright green.
Healthy New Years Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Add these healthy recipes to your meal plan for the New Year.
Creamy Bacon and Broccoli Salad
- 1 head broccoli (cut into bite sized pieces)
- ¼ cup red or other sweet onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (almonds or pecans or raw sunflower seeds (unchopped))
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 pieces turkey bacon or other lean bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (low or non fat)
- 2 tablespoons stevia or sugar (or other sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Combine salad ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients.
- Mix dressing with salad, let chill for at least 1 hour before serving.