These simple Lemon Basil Shortbread cookies feature tart lemons and kick of peppery basil for a fabulous combination.
I started with my basic shortbread recipe that I have made for years. It is great plain with just flour, butter and sugar. But it is also nice to toss in some extra ingredients once in awhile (chai spice anyone?)
You can combine any citrus and fresh herb to make these. I have made Lemon Rosemary Shortbread before and lemon and lavender are another of my favorite flavor combinations. Or you could go with lime or orange or even grapefruit. Toss in your favorite herb (rosemary, thyme, lavender, etc.) and you have a simple and delicious (or is it simply delicious?) cookie.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Buttery shortbread cookies made even more wonderful with a boost from tart lemons and peppery basil. #shortbreadcookies #lemoncookies” quote=”Buttery shortbread cookies made even more wonderful with a boost from tart lemons and peppery basil. ” theme=”style2″]
Simple crispy shortbread with a hint of citrus and kick of peppery basil. Can be made with any citrus and fresh herb combo.
- 1 lemon or preferred citrus
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil or preferred herb
- 1 pound butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Using a fine grater or other zesting tool, zest the lemon. Finally chop the basil leaves.
- Cube butter into roughly 1/2 inch cubes. Put in a large bowl with flour, sugar and half of the lemon zest and basil.
- Gently combine with your fingers to make a soft dough. Roll into 2 tubes about 2-3" wide and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice cookies 1/4" thick and place an inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Turn down oven to 275 degrees and bake until cookies turn a slightly rosy color (just as they begin to brown). Allow to cool completely
- Juice the lemon into a small bowl or cup. In a small bowl add powdered sugar and remaining zest and basil. Thin to desired consistency with lemon juice.
- Spoon glaze over each cookie, allow to harden.
You can make these with any combination of citrus fruit (limes, oranges, tangerines) and fresh herbs (rosemary, lavender, thyme).