Beautiful, natural colored and flavored Blood Orange Spritz Cookies are a springtime orange treat.
I am not a big fan of food coloring. I can usually taste it, especially red. Natural muted colors are pretty and taste better.
These cookies use blood oranges for a pinkish orange hue to the cookie and bright pink to the icing. They practically scream spring!
Do you need a cookie press?
Use your favorite cookie press shape to make these. I went with the springtime flower.
If you do not have a cookie press, drop the dough by tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet leaving about two inches apart. Frost with the icing after they have cooled.
What are blood oranges?
If you aren't familiar with blood oranges the outer peel has a slight blush to it, and the inside is a bright red. The taste is one of the strongest sweetest orangy oranges you have ever tried.
Feel free to use your favorite orange or other citrus fruit instead. I am sure they would be equally lovely with lemons or limes as well.
Blood Orange Spritz Cookies
- 1 blood orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup butter (cut into slices)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Zest the orange with the fine side of a grater. Slice the orange in half and juice both halves.
- In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg and 2 tablespoons of orange juice, mixing until combined.
- Slowly add flour until incorporated, scraping bowl periodically.
- Fill cookie press with dough using your favorite shape. Press out cookies approximately an inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake until just turning brown at edges. About 10 minutes.
- While cookies cool, prepare icing. In a small bowl add 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Stir to combine. Add more orange juice until you get your desired consistency.
- Add a drop of icing in the middle of the cookies, or drizzle over the top.
More Citrus Cookies Recipes
Until next time, happy eating.
Such a pretty and flavorful cookie for spring. I love using blood oranges.
Erin @ Making Memories
Your cookies look wonderful! I love blood oranges.
Thanks, Erin. I love them too.
I recently started a love affair with blood oranges. I will be sorry when I can no longer find them. These cookies would be so bright tasting. I will have to give them a try - if I have any blood oranges left. Thanks for being a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar group!
We have two seasons of them here in Southern California, luckily.
Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Beautiful color in these cookies! I ate a blood orange yesterday, they are delicious. I'll bet these cookies are fantastic.
They are so flavorful. I almost ate them all before I made the cookies.
Amy's Cooking Adventures
Sp pretty & simple! I love these!
Simple is my favorite thing these days.
Joanne/Wine Lady Cooks
These are adorable Audrey, they look like 'spring flowers'. These are great for spring party gatherings.
These cookies look so good and so perfect for spring. Pinned.
Thanks, Bev. I was thrilled with how they came out.
I love blood oranges! They have so much flavor. And your cookies look amazing and are making me hungry!
Blood oranges are amazing, aren't they.