I adapted this recipe from an award winning recipe in one of those little Betty Crocker Bake Off cookbooks. And it is definitely a winner. The lemon yogurt helps keep the tender scone texture without the extra fat.
Reduced Fat Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose baking mix with leavening (aka Bisquick)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces lemon yogurt (or plain yogurt plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (use more if using plain yogurt/lemon juice combo)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together baking mix and 1/3 cup sugar. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly (bits of butter are good!)
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, yogurt, 1/4 cup whipping cream and lemon peel. Add to the baking mix mixture until just combined. GENTLY, fold in blueberries without breaking them if at all possible (they look better this way!)
- Place dough on the prepared cookie sheet and shape into an 8 inch circle. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon whipping cream, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Dip a sharp knife into additional baking mix (or flour) and cut circle into 8 wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. Recut wedges along the lines you made before baking and gently move to a rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and additional lemon peel, if using. Drizzle over the scones and serve warm.
Other scone recipes you may enjoy:
Until next time, happy eating.