These easy Lentil Mushroom Burgers are a quick and easy weeknight meal or cookout alternative for those that don’t eat meat. And the homemade barbecue sauce cooks up while you are making the burgers to give this the perfect tangy, spicy sweet touch.
This week on Our Family Table we are making burgers. And the creations made from the others in the group have me drooling.
Bodacious Burger Recipes
- Burgers with Bacon Bourbon Burger Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lentil Mushroom Burger by That Recipe
- Meatloaf Burgers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mushroom Beef Burger by Art of Natural Living
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Short Rib Burgers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepperoni Pizza Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rabbit Sausage Burger with Carrot Horseradish Aioli by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- The Ultimate Taco Burger by Our Good Life
I am going to be honest with you, no one is going to be fooled into thinking this is a ground beef burger. Please don’t even try. Your kids will know you are lying and not trust you again. But make no mistake about it, just because it doesn’t taste like beef doesn’t mean they aren’t scrumptious! The mushrooms add a bit of a crunch so it isn’t a mush patty like some meatless burgers. And the simple barbecue sauce bursts with flavor.
Grill up some extra mushrooms and onions to add on top for even more deliciousness.
Barbecue Lentil Mushroom Burgers are simple vegan/vegetarian burgers made with lentils and mushrooms topped with a simple homemade barbecue sauce.
- 8 oz low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon low sodium seasoning "salt" I use Pappy's choice
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced plus extra for topping the burgers if desired
- 1/4 cup onions, diced plus extra for topping the burgers if desired
- 1 Large egg, slightly beaten or flax egg (see note)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs gluten free if desired
- 1 teaspoon low sodium seasoning "salt" I use Pappy's Choice
- 4 hamburger buns gluten free if desired
- In a small sauce pan combine all sauce ingredients and simmer over low heat.
- In a medium pot cook lentils in water per package directions until very soft, 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool
- While lentils cook, saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine lentils, mushroom and onions, egg, panko and seasoning in a medium bowl and form into 4 patties.
Cook on an oiled cast iron griddle/pan for about 5 minutes aside.
- Serve burger on buns with barbecue sauce and additional burger toppings.
To make eggless, substitute 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water for about 5 minutes until gel forms.
Learn the tricks to making the best burgers on your block with this tip sheet available exclusively to our Members. Membership is free and includes downloadable content, biweekly e-mails with recipes and food related fun and discounts in our shop.
Sign up for instant access.