This super simple rice pudding is a wonderful way to use cooked rice to make a luscious creamy dessert in a fraction of the time.
There are different variations of rice pudding throughout the world. Most rice pudding recipes involve cooking rice with milk (or cream), eggs, and sugar.
Hmm, what else can you make with milk/cream, eggs and sugar? Ice Cream!
Yup, the secret ingredient to this easy rice pudding recipe is ice cream. Just mix the cooked rice and the ice cream and cook until soft and creamy.
What kind of Ice Cream can you use?
Regular, sugar free, non dairy, low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt will all work.
Chocolate, vanilla, butter pecan with caramel swirl, rum raisin. Any flavor that tickles your fancy.
What kind of Rice to use for Rice Pudding?
You can use whatever kind of rice you want, but there will be a difference in taste and texture. Short or medium white rice is used most often. I used basic long grain white rice.
But you can experiment with jasmine or brown rice or black rice.
It is best if the rice is a bit starchy and soft. If you typically rinse the rice of the starch before cooking you may want to add a little starch (corn, rice, potato) to make the sauce a bit thicker when you prepare this. And you may want to add a little milk or water and cook it a bit longer if the rice isn’t soft enough when the sauce thickens.
More Whole Grains RecipesSeptember is National Rice and National Whole Grains Month. The fourth week of September is National Wild Rice Week. Whole grains are nutritious and are great to make delicious food right from appetizers, salads, breads, and main courses to desserts. In our #FestiveFoodies, we are celebrating the grains this month by sharing our favorite recipes showcasing any grains and Radha of Magical Ingredients is hosting this event. We are sharing 30 different recipes using whole grains and join us in the celebration.Friday Whole Grain Recipes
- Cracked Wheat Upma by Magical Ingredients
- Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Rice Pudding by That Recipe
- Hot Oat & Quinoa Cereal by The Spiffy Cookie
- Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowl by Jen Around the World
- Butterscotch Oat Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Wild Rice Stuffing by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Old-Fashioned Crisp Oatmeal Cookies by Making Miracles
Rice Pudding with Cooked Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups ice cream
- In a medium pan combine rice and ice cream, then cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy.
- If sauce thickens and rice is not soft enough, add ½ cup water and cook a little longer.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Pudding Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!