Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best. Like these Roasted Root Vegetables. Carrots, potatoes and turnips tossed with olive oil and freshly crushed herbs make a lovely side dish for just about any meal.
I got a new toy: this fantastic Umbra Mortar and Pestle set. I have been looking for one for a while, and when I saw this one on Uncommon Goods I knew it was perfect.
The marble base is for crushing hard peppercorns and salt, etc.
While the beech wood bowl is perfect for the fresh garlic and rosemary or other leafy herbs.
The wood bowl fits neatly in the base for storage. It is so gorgeous, I keep it out on the counter all the time.
Uncommon Goods has amazing products that would make great gifts for anyone on your list.
Do you know someone that would like to make their own mead or gin? How about a geek watch with formulas instead of traditional numbers? And don't get me started on all of the sports related gear. I came up with so many ideas. Just pop over and take a look, I'm sure you will fall in love with something right away.
And as cool as the goods are, the company is even better. Uncommon Goods is a founding B Corp. B Corporations use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. The B Corporations meet a rigorous standard on a wide range of issues, including wage levels, environmental impact, and giving back to the community. For every purchase made, Uncommon Goods donates $1 to a Better to Give partner of your choice. To date they have donated over $1 million dollars.
Their Uncommon Collection highlights special products that meet the highest standards for uncommon design, sustainability, and doing good. Gail the Springtime Snail is one of my favorites in their right now.
So this year, instead of giving Dad another boring tie or soap on a rope, check out Uncommon Goods for a Make Your Own Hot Sauce Kit. Or a Baseball Stadiums Tie or some Beer Soap if you really need to go for the tie or soap.
[click_to_tweet tweet="Rosemary Garlic Root vegetables are an amazingly easy and delicious side dish. #healthysides #vegetables #eatinghealthy" quote="Rosemary Garlic Root vegetables are an amazingly easy and delicious side dish. " theme="style2"]
Rosemary Garlic Roasted Root Vegetables
- 8 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 1 turnip
- 2-3 Sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns (or ¼ teaspoon ground)
- ½ teaspoon pink rock salt (or ¼ teaspoon ground)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub the vegetables and peel if desired. Cut into fairly even 1 ½ inch pieces. Put into a bowl or plastic bag.
- Remove rosemary leaves from stems. With a mortar and pestle crush the rosemary leaves, garlic, peppercorn and salt.
- Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and toss thoroughly to coat. Add crushed spices and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Use two pans if needed to avoid crowding.
- Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice part way through cooking, until golden brown.
Until next time, happy eating.