Simple Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing will spice up your meal.
I adore fennel and use every part of it whenever it pops up in my delivery from Harvest2U. Roasting it brings out some of the sweetness and it pairs so nicely with the peppery arugula.
I have a whole host of tahini recipes if you are worried about buying a big container and not knowing what else to do with it. It is fabulous for breakfast, dinner and dessert too.
The dressing also calls for a little preserved lemon. You can buy it at the store, but it is also ridiculously easy to make at home. The lemon flavor is really intensified. If you don't have that available, just use regular lemon zest.
Winter Salads from Our Dinner Table
Celebrate winter produce with these tasty salads from the Our Dinner Table bloggers.
Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons preserved lemon rind (rinsed and chopped (see note))
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic (peeled)
- ¼ cumin ground cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large large fennel bulb
- 1 large large red onion
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups arugula (washed and patted dry)
- 2 cups baby spinach (washed and patted dry)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides with a spatula as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Remove the stems and bottom from the fennel bulb, then cut into ½ inch thick slices from top to bottom. Place slices in a large bowl and reserve the fronds for another recipe.
- Remove ends and outer skin of red onion. Cut in half from root to stem and then cut each half into ½ inch thick slices. Place half-round slices into bowl with fennel.
- Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar to bowl and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss until the fennel and red onion is evenly coated.
- Arrange vegetables in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and roast for 15 minutes. Turn over then continue roasting until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Place arugula and spinach in a large bowl and add 3 tablespoons of lemon-tahini dressing. Toss to combine. Arrange greens on serving platter and top with roasted fennel and red onion.
- Drizzle additional dressing on top and serve.