Here’s a delicious and easy recipe for that leftover holiday ham: Scalloped Potatoes with Ham.
This recipe is adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays .
Around here, Ree Drummond is referred to as “Charlie’s Mama” since we have read a few of her children’s books. Mom and son library books:
Of course, J likes both her story books and her cook books. Luckily this Charlie book has a recipe at the end which we made and enjoyed immensely.
She raves about how much her children enjoyed Scalloped Potatoes with Ham. My son loves cheese sauce, potatoes and ham. Plus the recipe was from Charlie’s Mama! Slam dunk, right?
Unfortunately, Sir Snubs A Lot didn’t like everything mixed together. Seriously, kid? I even left the onions out just for him! Once I separated out the ham he ate it all and we agreed it was Dee-lish-ous!
Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
- 4 tablespoons butter plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds russet or Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed clean and sliced VERY thin
- 2 cups cooked ham diced
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet sauté the diced onions in the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over the onions, whisk together and continue cooking for approximately 2 minutes until light brown.
- Whisk the milk and cream into the onions and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add pepper.
- In the greased baking dish, layer half of the sliced potatoes and half of the diced ham. Sprinkle half the cheese on top and pour on half of the sauce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 -20 minutes until golden brown. Serve with parsley sprinkled on top.
Until next time, happy eating.