Nobody ever said that making dinner had to be complicated. This Mexican Ham and Pasta Bake Recipe is an easy, hearty family meal that only takes about 40 minutes!
Delight your taste buds with the combination of delicious flavors from melted cheese, zesty salsa, savory ham and creamy pasta sauce.
So, if you’re in search of a delicious, easy-to-make meal, then this Mexican Ham and Pasta Bake is for you!
This dish is basically just mac and cheese with some ham tossed in and kicked up with salsa. What could be easier?
Ingredients for Mexican Ham and Pasta Bake
You can use any type of pasta you have on hand, but ideally you want a pasta that has nooks and crannies to hold on to the cheese such as shells, rotini or even elbow macaroni.
I like a nice blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. But, you can use your favorite melty cheeses including pre shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Butter and flour make the roux, thickening the sauce. You can use oil for the butter and a gluten free all purpose flour (like this one from King Arthur).
After you make the roux, you need to add some milk, dairy or non dairy. The more fat, the creamier the final result.
Then you'll mix in your favorite salsa and leftover ham. And finally top it with some fresh cilantro after baking.
- 1 pound pasta (such as fusili, rotini, penne or elbow macaroni)
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup ham (diced)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Cook pasta half way, about 6 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Combine both cheeses and set aside
- Add butter to a saucepan, cook over medium for 2-3 minutes until brown. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil and cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cheese. Whisk until smooth. Add pasta, ham and salsa.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cilantro
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Sound fabulous? Share it!