These Red, White and Blue Striped Cookie Rolls are great for those patriotic holidays: Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Patriots Day and Veterans Day. Or change up the colors and use them for other occasions.
On the first Thursday of the month my friends and I at Fill the Cookie Jar bake some cookies and share them with you on our blogs. Our theme this month is summer. And here in the U.S. we have Memorial Day, Flag Day and Independence Day all in a 5 week period. So patriotic cookies won out for me. Be sure to scroll below the recipe to see what the others made.
I made the mistake of attempting to bake these before school one morning. I knew it was going to be a busy day and I thought I could just whip them out and photograph later. The best laid plans…
I wasn’t messing with dainty stripes with the second batch – big and bold! At least they came out well enough that I could photograph them later. The pictures of the steps were bad. Hopefully my description below will suffice. I may remake them someday and add the step by step photos.
The recipe isn’t hard, you just don’t want to do it when you are distracted because you need to watch them (or at least set the timer!) so they do not overbake.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Say ‘Hooray for the red, white and blue’ with these Striped Cookie Rolls #cookies #recipe” quote=”Say ‘Hooray for the red, white and blue’ with these Striped Cookie Rolls #cookies #recipe” theme=”style2″]
Striped Cookie Rolls
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Large egg whites
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and egg whites and mix until incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add in flour just until incorporated.
- Remove 1-2 tablespoons of batter to a small bowl and add food coloring.
- Put 1 tablespoon of plain batter on the baking mat and spread into a 4-6" oval. You want it very thin!
- With a toothpick drag some of the colored batter across the cookie to make stripes (I used a knife to make two wider stripes instead of 5-6 skinny stripes).
- Bake at 350F for about 7 minutes, until the edges just begin to turn golden brown. Watch carefully! If the cookies are overbaked they will not roll.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for about 30-45 seconds. Remove a cookie from the pan and roll around a chopstick, wooden spoon handle, etc. to make a thin tube. You need to work quickly before the cookies harden.
Make sure you take some time to see what the other home bakers have been creating.
S’mores Sandwich Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Pink Lemonade Cookies by Palatable Pastime
Lemon Bars by A Day In The Life on the Farm
Double Strawberry Hazelnut Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Red White and Blue Striped Tuile Rolls by That Recipe
Easy Whoopie Pies with Ice Cream by Organized 31
Red, White and Blue Cookies by Cookaholic Wife
Basil Lime Cookies by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
Orange Drop Cookies by Big Rigs n’ Lil’ Cookies