This White Gazpacho may just be my new favorite dish of summer. Creamy yet light, full flavored, healthy, no-cooking “made in a food processor (blender)” soup.
I recently joined some awesome bloggers in the Cookbook Club Reviewers. Think “book club” for cookbooks! Perfect for me, isn’t it? Every month we pick a cookbook, try a few recipes then blog about them. For our inaugural book we are doing Home Made Summer by Yvette Van Boven
Now, about the book. It is a beautifully photographed and illustrated book. The recipes are quite varied and reflect the author’s Irish upbringing as well as her time spent in Amsterdam and Provence. Some dishes might seem “exotic” to most Americans (Quark anyone?); however, they are all fairly simple to make. The Melon Jam with Tarragon is a great example. Even though it isn’t something most people would think to make it is actually a very simple jam, perfect for the first time jam maker. Maybe it is the French vibe, but it is reminiscent of Julia Child to me.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This White Gazpacho is a deliciously healthy way to cool down on a hot day. #recipes #gazpacho” quote=”This White Gazpacho is a deliciously healthy way to cool down on a hot day. #recipes #gazpacho” theme=”style1″]
- 1/3 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 thick slice white bread crust removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 bunch seedless green grapes approximately 25
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup almonds preferably smoked
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or almond/soy milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or rice/soy yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- alfalfa sprouts
- Put the stock and bread in a bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Put the soaked bread in a blender or food processor with the garlic, grapes, cucumber and almonds. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and whisk in cream, yogurt, vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill for an hour or more. Serve in shallow bowls, garnish with avocado and sprouts.
Until next time, happy eating.