Cherry Blueberry Cookie Cups are a fun treat for those summer patriotic holidays. Tangy cream cheese cookie cups, sweet blueberry jam topped with a bright maraschino cherry.
This recipe is a surefire way to tantalize your taste buds with a combination of sweet and tart flavors. This delightfully simple and easy-to-follow recipe will have you baking these delightful cookie cups in no time.
The end result is a flavorful red white and blue cookie perfect for your Memorial Day or Independence Day celebrations.
Ingredients for Cherry Blueberry Cookie Cups
The ingredients for the cookie cups are basic and easy to find:
- shortening, margarine or chilled coconut oil*
- cream cheese
- sugar (or no calorie baking substitute)
- egg (or egg substitute)
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- salt and baking soda
* I love baking with butter, but not in this recipe. You want the taste of the tangy cream cheese to shine through. Opt for the milder tasting shortening or substitute. Or use butter, it's your cookie.
For the filling I just kept it simple with
- blueberry preserves
- Maraschino cherries
If you want to make it with fresh blueberries, mash them up, add some water and sugar (to taste) and cook until thick.
You could also reverse it and use cherry or strawberry preserves topped with fresh blueberries.
Cherry Blueberry Cookie Cups
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jar blueberry preserves
- 1 jar Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream shortening and cheese together. Add sugar, egg and extract; mix thoroughly.
- Sift dry ingredients together and stir into creamed mixture. Chill dough.
- Divide dough into 48 pieces. Press each piece into a cup of a mini-muffin pan, press down in the middle and up on the sides to cover the entire cup with a well in the center.
- Drop a small teaspoon of blueberry jam into each cookie cup.
- Top with a cherry. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until cookie just starts to turn brown.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Cherry and Blueberry Recipes
Until next time, happy eating.