Skip the canned soup and make your own Cream Soup Base Mix that can be used to create cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, etc. for use as soup or in recipes.
Here's a simple dry mix you should keep in your pantry to use when you want some quick creamy soup or need some cream of "anything" soup for a recipe (like other casseroles).
It also makes an easy and thoughtful gift, just pack it in a jar and add a card with the following instructions.
To prepare the equivalent of one can of condensed soup: Cook ½ to 1 cup of the main ingredient in a pot until tender.
Add about 1 ¼ cups of water and 2 cups of mix. Whisk until combined and heat over a medium flame until it reaches your desired thickness.
Cream Soup Base Mix
- 2 ½ cup powdered non-fat dry milk (or powdered rice milk for vegan)
- 1 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot, or ½ cup each cornstarch and mashed potato flakes)
- ⅓ cup chicken bouillon granules (or vegan alternative)
- 2 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients and place in a quart mason jar.
- To prepare the equivalent of one can of condensed soup: Cook ½ to 1 cup of the main ingredient in a pot until tender.Add about 1 ¼ cups of water and 2 cups of mix. Whisk until combined and heat over a medium flame until it reaches your desired thickness.
Here are a few other gifts in jars ideas you may enjoy:
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Thank you for hosting! This is what was served the of week 8-26- to 8-30 in my home. On Tuesday is a Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Casserole. it can be served at any meal. Wednesday is a Cheesy Rice Casserole with Broccoli. And ending Broccoli week on Friday I am serving my family favorite Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Crescent Ring. Enjoy!
This sounds great; I want to make some gifts in jars for my church's Christmas bazaar this year. Will use my homegrown oregano, too!
Oh, what a great idea for a bazaar.