Fall is the time to start enjoying more vegetables. It is getting colder. You want your meals heartier and more filling to warm you straight up. Soups, casseroles and stews laced with fall time vegetables are perfect for the cold weather. It doesn't hurt that you make these already filling dishes even healthier.
Below are some of the best fall vegetables that you should include in this year's grocery list and menu. Click on any of the photos for the full recipe.
Carrots are sometimes referred to as a spring vegetable, though they are often available in the fall as well. They also go great with many of your favorite fall recipes, such as if you are making a soup, stew, adding carrots to your salads, or just enjoying a snack with carrots and ranch or hummus dip. Roasting carrots is another great option, which just requires a little olive oil, your favorite seasonings, and an oven.
There are a lot of different types of squashes that are popular in the fall: butternut, acorn, spaghetti, and of course, pumpkin. They are larger, firmer and sweeter than the summer squashes. You can cook and puree them for use in soups, risotto and baked goods. Or roast them them with seasonings varying from cinnamon and cloves to garlic and rosemary.
Sweet Potatoes and Yams
Don’t forget about your sweet potatoes! These are a sweeter and lower fat version of white potatoes, as well as being lower in carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes have so many different uses, from making a healthier French fries or mashed potatoes, to frying them, roasting them, boiling them.
Broccoli and Cauliflower
Broccoli and Cauliflower are loaded with fiber, B vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids and a host of other goodness. They are delicious raw in salads as well as roasted and baked. Most people enjoy them with cheese.
It is always a good idea to include seasonal vegetables in your cooking repertoire. Because they are at their peak they are at their healthiest, and most flavorful. And they are usually at their lowest price. So, next time you are at your farmers' market or grocers be sure to pick up some of these healthy and tasty vegetables for your fall meals.
[clickToTweet tweet="Flavorful and filling fall vegetable recipes. #healthyeating #vegetables" quote="Flavorful and filling fall vegetable recipes. #healthyeating #vegetables" theme="style2"]
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.