Decadent Pumpkin Mousse recipe is so easy to make and topped with homemade maple whipped cream it is a perfect Autumn dessert. It is fancy enough for a formal dinner but so quick, easy and delicious you can enjoy it anytime.
Mousse only sounds fancy. It is actually quick and easy to make. But the result is rich and creamy like heaven on a spoon.
Especially if you top it with homemade maple whipped cream. Yes, the extra 5 minutes to whip up the cream is so much better than that spray stuff.
There is no added sugar in either the mousse or the whipped cream. And thanks to pumpkin's high fiber content the result is a low carb/keto friendly dessert, within reason of course.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Mousse
The basic ingredients for the mousse and topping are:
- heavy whipping cream
- half & half
- cream cheese
- real maple syrup
- pumpkin purée
- pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract
- pecan halves and ground cinnamon/nutmeg (optional for serving)
Can you make dairy free pumpkin mousse?
Yes, use your favorite plant based substitutes for the half and half and cream cheese.
For the whipped topping, I recommend canned coconut milk. Chill the can upside down in the freezer. Open the can right side up, the solids will be on the bottom. Whip up the milk only like whipped cream and sweeten with the maple syrup.
Pumpkin Mousse with Maple Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons real maple syrup (divided)
- 15 ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 8 ounce cream cheese (softened, cubed)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅕ cup half & half
- pecan halves (optional for serving)
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional for serving)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream in a large bowl until it doubles in size. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and continue beating until light and fluffy. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin purée, cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, half & half, and remaining maple syrup until thoroughly blended.
- Transfer to individual dessert bowls. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, remove from refrigerator and top with maple whipped cream, pecans, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.
Sound fabulous? Share it!