This healthy Pumpkin Soup is packed with Autumn flavors and healthy root vegetables. And it is ready in under 30 minutes, perfect for those busy fall weeknights.
Winter squash makes such delicious healthy soup. Loads of beta carotene and fiber. I use pumpkin for this one, but you can use butternut or acorn squash if you prefer.
I like a little yogurt in mine (kind of borscht like), but you can leave it out or go dairy free if you prefer.
Other root vegetable soup recipes you may enjoy:
Wishing you a warm and wonderful Fall.
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- ½ cup Vidalia or Walla Walla onions (minced)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups fat free chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 medium turnip (peeled and diced)
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups cooked winter squash, cubed)
- ¾ cups yogurt, coconut or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional for garnish)
- yogurt (optional for garnish)
- maple syrup (optional for garnish)
- Heat oil on medium heat in a stock pot. Add the onions and sweat them until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook lightly. Do not brown onion and garlic.
- Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly to make a smooth roux. Add the stock all at once and stir to combine.
- Add carrots and turnip; increase heat to bring liquid to a low boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Reduce heat and cook until carrots and turnip are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, yogurt, spices, salt and pepper. Cook until pumpkin and milk are hot. Add more liquid if desired.
- Process with a hand held blender (or put in blender or food processor), making a smooth puree. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Pour into serving bowls, garnish with seeds, sour cream/yogurt and/or a drizzle of maple syrup. Sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.