While we don't normally think of soup when the temperature outside is in the triple digits, this quick cooking Summer Vegetable Soup makes great use of seasonal fresh produce for a fast meal.
You can add whatever fresh herbs and vegetables you have available to create your own unique combinations. Think zucchini, summer squash, corn, eggplant, peppers, green beans, okra, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, basil, chives, sage, collard greens, kale, etc. Just be sure to allow enough time for whatever you add to fully cook (without becoming mushy).
Add some crusty bread, or whip up some Southern Style biscuits while the soup is simmering, and you have a delicious healthy dinner.
Summer Harvest Vegetable Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots (cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium zucchini (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color or combination (cut into small pieces))
- 1 cup kale (ribs removed and ripped into small pieces)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (crushed)
- Add olive oil and onion to a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, carrots, zucchini and peppers and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add kale to pan and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, until it wilts. Add the fresh herbs and wine (or water/vinegar combination) and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add fresh lemon juice. Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano ribbons and serve with crusty bread.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Gina from Moneywise Moms (Blog)**
**Amanda from The Mommy Mix (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Thank you for hosting another fun party. Have a blessed week and do something special for yourself!!
This looks so good! Thanks for sharing this summer vegetable soup! It's been a cool summer where I live, so this will go over well with my family!