Daniel Tiger’s Banana Swirl

Here’s a super simple healthy dessert idea that we got from Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood – Banana Swirl Ice Cream.  Check your local PBS station for this fun new show from The Fred Rogers Company (yes, THAT Mr. Rogers).

Ingredients: Ripe bananas, overripe is better.

Banana SwirlI know most people automatically think “Oh, the bananas are turning brown I have to make banana bread.” Don’t get me wrong, I like banana bread, especially my mother-in-laws super loaded version. But, sometimes you want something a little different and a little less work (and a lot less fat).

Peel the bananas and slice into 1 – 2 ” slices and drop them in a freezer bag and put in the freezer. Or throw them in whole and slice them with a sharp knife just before preperation. When completely frozen put them in the food processor or blender and mix until smooth. It helps if you defrost a few pieces in the microwave for a few seconds (not all, just one or two), or leave on the counter for a few minutes until some of the bananas start to thaw. Put in bowls and serve.  You could put sprinkles or chocolate syrup or other ice cream toppings on top. My J likes it plain.

UPDATE: March 6, 2014 – I just figured out a simpler and better method for making this that even a preschooler can make “by myself”. Click here to check it out: Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood Banana Swirl – Kid Friendly Instructions.

Until next time, happy eating.
~Audrey

This entry was posted in Breads, Desserts, Fruit and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Daniel Tiger’s Banana Swirl

1. Jerimi says:

This sounds super yummy! We’re going to have to give it a shot. Thanks so much for sharing!

2. Jess says:

My 4YO son had been asking about making this, and he remembered every step perfectly. STILL, I was happy to find that an adult had written it down for me :) Thanks!

3. Administrator says:

The funny thing is the creator of the show, Angela Santomero, posted the recipe the other day and called it Banana Smash! You can imagine how many parents, like us, knew that was wrong immediately.

4. Pingback: Team Umizoomi Ice Cream Pizza and Heart Cookies | That Recipe

5. Suzanne says:

Ok… lessons learned – don’t freeze slices overnight, they were like a solid block which I expected, but I also thought they’d thaw leaving them out for 15-20 mins but they didn’t thaw enough. Ended up breaking it down and using a food processor (blender did nothing) and poured in some milk. It was good but since everyone at the party tried it, I only got to try a few bites. My daughter and I are going to try this again just for us. Next time I’d freeze the slices in the morning to make it in the evening. Thanks for sharing, I saw the episode many times but thought there HAD to be more to it than just bananas – I guess not :)

6. llissel says:

for how long do you leave the bananas in the freezer for?
    Thanks

7. Audrey says:

It depends. I know that is a vague answer. If you peel them then throw them in the freezer whole they will take longer to freeze. If you slice them first they will firm up within a few hours. I usually put them in whole as soon as I notice they are getting to mushy on the counter and then take them out when I am ready to do something with them days or weeks later. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

8. Pingback: Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood Banana Swirl – Kid Friendly Instructions | That Recipe

9. Pingback: Currently……. | Illuminating Stella

10. Armaan says:

I think it’s delicious!!!

11. Jessica says:

My daughter has been asking me to do this for over a week now. I finally gave in. It’s easy and she loved helping me make banana swirl for her and her big brother. She knew exactly how to make this.

12. I just made this and it turned out really good. I added a splash of milk and some cinnamon and it was awesome. I should have thawed the bananas a little more since I don’t have a super strong blender but now I know for next time.

My son ended up eating almost all of it!

If I used some kind of nut milk its even paleo approved. Thanks Daniel Tiger!